Show me an example Saintjohnrailfan's Ultimate Adventures: Matt's Moncton Trip - The Full Story

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Matt's Moncton Trip - The Full Story

So, I decided to venture up to Moncton on Monday for another day railfanning trip. The day started really well. I managed to get to Moncton at 6:30am..nice and early. I decided to begin my day at Berry Mills, just west of Moncton. At around 7:40am, CN 305 rolled along with a large load:



Shortly there after, at around 9:05am, CN 473 came along hauling 26 cars(I think):



Now, this is where the day kind of got bad. At around 10:30am, I decided to venture over to Memramcook, to try to catch the VIA 614 and CN 407. I parked along the road, so I could see the Moncton facing signal, as I was expecting the VIA train to be rolling along first. Well, apparently it didn't. CN 407 decided to cross my path first. CN 407 was coming from Halifax heading towards Moncton. By the time I was able to get my camera out and ready, I missed quite a bit of the train:



So CN 407 passed at around noon. After that, I decided to venture down to Salisburn to try to catch CN 405 returning from Saint John. I had to wait until around 2:30ish, but then 405 made it's way through at around 2:40pm. The location is Delong Drive, on the other side of the yard. I think it's a great location, becausae you can get a great shot of the train for about 5 or 6 kilometers up the track. Here's the video:



Finally, I decided to make my way to Painsec Junction. I knew the VIA wouldn't be in that area until around 5pm, so I had a few hours to kill. Finally, at around 5pm, VIA 615 rolled by at full speed, it seemed:



Unfortunately, that was the end of my train catching for the day. I hung around Moncton until 9:30pm. Unfortunately, CN 408 was late leaving, so I didn't get to catch it. So I was disappointed that I missed half of 407 and all of 408. I guess seeing 5 trains is better than none at all....

-Matt

No comments: